All students in the joint program can apply for a wide variety of funding packages at the departmental, program, college or university level. Graduate students pursuing a Ph.D. in Mass Communications can be funded through teaching, project or research assistantships in either department. Students also may apply for assistantships in one of numerous other departments and programs that regularly look for students with strong communication skills. Additionally, students may apply for financial aid or student hourly employment.


Most graduate students who receive support serve as teaching, research, or project assistants. Assistantships are typically part-time positions that pay a monthly stipend. Additionally, positions that are 33.33% or more (based on a 40-hour work week) provide tuition remission for the student and make the student eligible for comprehensive health insurance coverage (a benefit worth approximately $4,200 annually).

Financial Aid

Students who are U.S. citizens or Permanent Residents can apply for Federal Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) and for Federal Work-Study through the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA). Eligibility is based on financial need. OSFA also offers information on the cost of attendance.

Short-term loans are available on a limited basis. They are given only to assist in unanticipated emergency situations and must be repaid within the semester in which they are borrowed.

Hourly Employment

Other employment opportunities are available both on campus and in the community. Openings for full and part-time jobs for students and spouses are listed on the Student Job Center website.